Monday, 5 May 2014

Transition | 22 Months post



Heyy guys!
Long time no post eh! Hope you're all well and enjoying this bank holiday weekend! I have been itching to blog for so long now, and so I thought what better time to check in than at 22 months post relaxer. The end of my transition is creeping up on me and oh how time has flown by! I haven't been taking many pictures since my last update, and since I was getting ready for another round of braids I thought I should whip out my camera and take a couple snaps.

The pictures above show my hair (lightly) blow-dried. Ten points to anyone who can correctly name as many of the products in the background as they can. As I've mentioned before, I had been cutting away most of my relaxed ends whenever I re-did my braids. I just didn't realise just how much I had snipped until I took out my braids, and after seeing this picture. My hair was almost fully natural at the back with just a few stringy relaxed ends left. Even though my hair was blow dried, my ends were noticeably thin and just looked odd. So, as I was braiding the bottom section of my hair I decided to cut off any relaxed ends I came into contact with along the way. I can now say that the back section of my hair is fully natural. Woo, no going back now.  Lol, to be honest I really should stop saying that... like I'm still in two minds 1 year and 10 months later. Anyway, I'm sure this will now make future wash days a lot easier. It's amazing how difficult my relaxed ends made my wash day.
Although the pictures you see above were pre- 'my impulsive mini chop' I feel that my hair looks a bit choppy in the middle. This may just be how my hair grows or I might have even cut a bit too much off previously. I'm hoping it's the former. At the moment its not my biggest problem but it'll be something I'll monitor, and I'll also be extra cautious when cutting the remainder of my relaxed ends off.

I have to say I'm very happy with how my transition is going otherwise. The braids have definitely made it a lot easier. I can just tie up my braids in the morning and I'm good to go. I know I'll need to shake off my slightly laxed approach to hair care soon though. I've missed my hair recently.. sounds weird but as it's been hidden away under plaits for so long I almost forgot what it felt like to run a comb through my hair. It's been nice having a bit of a break recently as it allowed me to try out new products, tools and techniques, all of which will be blogged about in due course. I've also come to learn a little more about my hair. For example I can't seal with just an oil anymore. It just isn't enough. Shea butter is now my sealant of choice. Similarly my hair benefits from thicker products in general, and so I now tend to purchase and gravitate towards using thicker, creamier deep conditioners or moisturisers as I know anything thinner just wont cut it.
I've also learnt that my curl pattern is more or less only existent when wet. My hair is very coarse, as expected, but I have different textures all over my head. I would say in general my hair is on the 4a/4b side of the chart. I have to admit I'm still not fully educated on the forever- changing hair typing system, so let me know if you would disagree.

I think that's it for this months update. Another fairly quiet few months for me :)
So, how's your hair doing? Do you have an update post? Feel free to leave a link.
Take care

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize you were so far into your transition. Your hair looks great. It looks like most of your relaxed ends are gone in the middle. Nothing to be alarmed about though, it happens. Can't wait to see how your hair looks post big chop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's gone by so quickly!
      Yea, I'm not too fussed about it at the moment, it will even out eventually.
      Thank you, I can't wait either! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on making it to 22 months posts! You're transitioned gracefully!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please make a post on products hat really helped you with your transition? It would be extremely helpful. Love your blog btw.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback :) I always reply, so be sure to check back regularly for my responses :) Take Care.x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...